Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Jury Duty DAY 29 OF THE MARCH SOLSC #SOL16

I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC; #SOL16) 
hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Each day for the month of March I will be posting a "Slice of Life". 
Please feel free to stop back and check out my other posts here.


A wave of relief is rushing over me right now, and I can breathe again.  I went to check in for my juror summons for tomorrow, and it said my service is no longer required...Woohoo!!!!

Now, don't get me wrong...I recognize that jury duty is part of our civic duty, and I see how it is important for our justice system to function. However, like so many other things in life, I truly believe things need to be considered on a person by person basis!

Since I moved to this state, I'm pretty sure my husband has only been called for jury duty twice. He thinks it would be the coolest thing to serve on a jury. He's all over the idea, and is primed and ready to go! I know many others, like him, who are intrigued and excited by the idea of being a part of this justice. 

I, on the other hand, have been called at least 6 or 7 times (including receiving a summons upon returning from the hospital for the birth of each of my children!) for duty. I honestly do not see how any judge or lawyer in their right mind would want me on their jury. The last time I was called, as I sat in chambers waiting for decisions to be made on our submitted hardship claims, I was having a panic attack like I've never had before! I couldn't think straight just sitting there waiting...I couldn't imagine being expected to focus on and analyze testimony throughout a trial! 

So, when this jury summons came a few weeks ago, I was not exactly excited. I've been dreading the possibilities...trying to avoid thinking about it so as to avoid the panic from setting in. I waited until my assigned time to check in and see my fate...

And now, I am relieved! My attendance is no longer required for jury service. I am not required to serve again for at least a year. So, for a year, I will be relieved...until the next time the US  postal system brings me notice...

4 comments:

  1. I have never figured out how the summons are determined either. A couple of decades in Washington and I've never been called. If I could serve I think the process would be fascinating. Glad you could say "yes" and then not have to spend the time you didn't really want to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly!!! I can't believe you've been called 6 or 7 times! CRAZY! Well, I'm relieved to hear you have a year reprieve! :) Enjoy this next year... jury duty free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what about it stresses you so much. It is amazing that you have been called so many times. Have you ever served? Maybe serving once would alleviate the anticipatory stress. Glad you have a year where you do not have to worry about being called.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how some people are called time and time again, while others, like myself have never been called. Even though there is dread, thank you for "showing up."

    ReplyDelete