Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Proud Momma DAY 30 OF THE MARCH SOLSC #SOL16

I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC; #SOL16) 
hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Each day for the month of March I will be posting a "Slice of Life". 
Please feel free to stop back and check out my other posts here.


So, if you've been reading my posts, you already know I'm pretty proud of my kids most of the time. Today was no exception!

I woke up this morning to an email from middle son's 4th grade teacher.
I'm so sorry for this last minute notice. I have to blame spring break brain! 
M is receiving an award this morning for kindness (much deserved!).
Our ROAR assembly is at 9:00am. (Shhh... he doesn't know.)


Okay...thankful AGAIN that I was released from jury duty for today!! And, my schedule of coaching appointments for the day actually had a break from 9-11! But could I get there for 9:00?! Well, I'd try to leave a little early from my morning appointment and rush as fast as possible to get to his school! 

I rushed across town, hoping that they would give 3rd grade awards first and that I would get there in time.  No need to worry...I arrived, and they were still giving awards for the K-2 kids! Woohoo!!

So, I was able to be there to see my boy get his award...for kindness. 

As I sat there waiting, I was thinking...of all awards to get! I mean, I'm certainly proud of my son getting honor roll or Principal's list. I'm proud of them receiving their million words & 2 million words awards (which they also got recognized for while I was there today...YAY!). But, to get an award for being exceptionally kind?! That really says something about this boy! About his character. About the adult he will become. 

This boy is kind. He is friendly. This is the boy who used the tickets he earned in class to "purchase" a gift for his sister. He received the award for not only being kind to everyone in general, but also for being kind in the midst of others not being kind.

So, yes, today, I am a proud momma!

4 comments:

  1. Being kind is never overrated. I love a quote from Wonder, where the teacher says, "If you have the choice between being right and being kind, choose kind." You are right to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing better than momma proud! Your boy got the kindness gene from someone! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than momma proud! Your boy got the kindness gene from someone! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a proud momma moment!! I agree--the most important lesson I want my children to learn is kindness. I like the use of font in this piece--grabs the reader's attention.

    ReplyDelete