Monday, March 21, 2016

Spring Break- Never Enough Time DAY 21 OF THE MARCH SOLSC

I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC; #SOL16) 
hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Each day for the month of March I will be posting a "Slice of Life". 
Please feel free to stop back and check out my other posts here.


Spring Break...I'm always conflicted. I constantly have an enormous "to do" list & this is a great time to get it done. On the other hand, it would be lovely to do absolutely nothing & just enjoy some time off. Then still, the kids are off from school, and we could easily fill our days with activities & day trips. I wish I could get a full week for each of these! 

Not counting the weekend, today was our first day of Spring Break. I guess, in reality, I mixed everything together. 

We slept in, not even getting out of bed until school usually starts. Then I dropped the kids at day care & made a Costco run (cross that off the to do list!). I took my purchases home, and despite intentions to get some work done, proceeded to whittle away the rest of my time on email, Twitter, Facebook, a podcast & an audio book. By then, it was time to pick the kids up and head to ballet class & swim team practice.

And now Day 1 is history! Before I know it, our entire break will be over. And guaranteed, I will not have crossed nearly enough things off the to do list, will not have gone as many places as I'd hoped with the kids, and will still be longing for some alone time to "do nothing". But, despite the fact that I know this will be the case, I will do my best to make the most of the week I have to fit in a little bit of everything...even if it's never enough!

9 comments:

  1. Even if you had a week for each, you'd never fit in all you hoped. My school used to be on a true year-round calendar, and our breaks were three weeks. It was glorious, but still, it always seemed another day or two was needed to get the to-do list done. So your conclusion is the best way to approach a break. Enjoy what you have! (I am saying to myself about my two-week break- today was my first day, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound just like me - I stress out over how I spend my time during Spring Break. I'm like you - I want to be productive AND relax simultaneously.

    I hope you find the perfect balance during your break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about needing a week for play and work! I am on SB, skiing in Colorado, with an ungraded stack of papers beside me. -sigh- I love getting to relax and have fun, but the to-do list awaits us all! Teacher problems! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about needing a week for play and work! I am on SB, skiing in Colorado, with an ungraded stack of papers beside me. -sigh- I love getting to relax and have fun, but the to-do list awaits us all! Teacher problems! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many items on my spring break to do.... maybe they'll get done, maybe they won't. :) Try to enjoy the rest of your break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need a day with the only thing on your list is 'whatever I fancy'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a great "first day" full of wants and shoulds. I think breaks are designed to leave us always wanting more! I have 3 more days until my break starts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I have to be careful that I don't panic my way through time off because of how amped time seems to be during vacations. Hope you get some time to do what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wrote my thoughts!! There is never enough time in the day and never enough things get crossed off my list! It sounds like you had a wonderful first day of Spring Break!!

    ReplyDelete