Monday, March 13, 2017

Happy Birthday, Mom & Dad! #SOL17 Day 13

I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC; #SOL17) 
hosted by Two Writing Teachers
Each day for the month of March I will be posting a "Slice of Life". 
Please feel free to stop back and check out my other posts here.


March was always "birthday month". Growing up, it was convenient that my parents' birthdays were exactly one week apart. I always remembered when they were, we could celebrate them together, and I always thought it was kind of cute & funny!

Since they have both passed, it makes for a bit of a rough week.

So, last Monday, my mom would have been 78 years young. This June it will be 22 years since she died just a week after my college graduation. She never met the man who would become my husband, nor did she meet her 3 amazing grandkids. They know her through memories we share, traditions she began, and photos like these (though she was not a big fan of having her photo taken in later years):





Today, was my dad's birthday and he would have been 82. He passed away 10 years ago the day we brought my middle son home from the hospital. Only my oldest son met his Grandpa George, but he doesn't remember since he was only 18 months old. Again, we rely on memories and pictures for them to learn who this man was and feel close to him.




Despite never having met their grandparents, my kids bring them up often. They ask questions and enjoy the stories. This weekend they asked if we would celebrate my dad's birthday today, and when my middle son saw these pictures on my phone, he looked right at them and declared, "Happy Birthday, Grandpa George!"

Indeed, it is March; birthday month. Happy Birthday, Mom & Dad!



2 comments:

  1. I need a tissue and those kids need hugs and kisses UG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...what a rough and wonderful month for you, March. It's so interesting that your kids bring them up often. Isn't it amazing how much a person's story needs to be told? They're remembered!!

    ReplyDelete